Welcome to the San Angelo Metropolitan Planning Organization
The San Angelo Metropolitan Planning Organization (SA-MPO) is a federally mandated, federally funded transportation agency that is responsible for the coordination of transportation planning activities within the City of San Angelo and the MPO boundary. We work with Federal, State, and local agencies to make sure transportation projects and programs are cooperative, continuing, and comprehensive (3-C). Because our primary focus is on short- and long-range transportation planning, we work closely with public transportation providers, transit, airport, rail, and regional entities to assure every mode of transportation is represented.
Transportation affects us all, and for that reason, SA-MPO works hard to make sure that everyone has a voice in the transportation planning process. We solicit input from individuals, groups, businesses, and organizations to help us determine where needs and priorities are greatest. As funding for projects decreases and becomes more competitive, the San Angelo MPO realizes the importance of using funds as efficiently as possible. We collect and analyze data, prioritize projects, and use progressive measures to make sure funds are spent where they are needed most.
SA-MPO performs other activities related to transportation planning that include:
- Monitoring and assisting with local transportation projects
- Working with local public transportation and transit providers
- Coordinating all transportation projects that use federal funds
- Developing transportation projects that improve the community
- Serving as the transportation information hub for the area
- Soliciting public input for all types of transportation projects and activities
- Researching and writing grants for transportation projects
- Providing educational information as it relates to transportation
- Collecting vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian data to make improvements
- Hosting educational and safety events for the community
We work cooperatively with the City of San Angelo (COSA), the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the Concho Valley Transit District (CVTD), to help us determine transportation priorities for the area, which provides the best transportation projects possible.
The San Angelo Metropolitan Planning Organization is very active within the community, which helps to support the economic liveliness of the San Angelo area. When planning for transportation, we make sure our projects incorporate livability, mobility, accessibility, and sustainability. Use of these methods in our operations helps to produce plans and programs that are beneficial not only for the community, but for the region.
For more information about the organization or for information on transportation projects, contact the San Angelo MPO.